• Elijah Ricks

Owies and Illnesses

The week began with a pretty rough cold for me, and a night of very little sleep. Our house guest had hopes of seeing Chicago, I was feeling bad enough, and Kira had had so little sleep from the night that we decided it would be best if our guest went on walkabout by herself. She was completely fine with that, probably able to see much more without waiting for us to catch up. Kira was a little saddened by the missed opportunity to leave our four walls, if only for a little while, but we set a goal for her to take our guest to some ice cream later that evening while trying to get a nap during the day. I took a much-needed trip to Costco while Avey spent her day off at a friend’s (a boy!) house. 

Tuesday I was back to work, but my cold was much worse. I had slept only a few hours that night thanks very much to a stuffy nose and a fussy baby. I muscled through the day, and came home. Avey had another school day off, so lazed around the house poking at books and shows and various projects. 

Wednesday, Kira and I had both slept better. Without any meetings on campus, I went to work at our local library and managed pretty well. I stacked up quite the pile of used tissues as I worked, but at least I stayed productive. 

Thursday was worst of all. My symptoms were at full fury, and Merritt decided that he would go for the world record at keeping parents awake. Kira took the first shift, which lasted until 1:30 a.m., and then traded with me. What sleep I had was pitiful, so I suffered through work that day. It was my long day, teaching three courses between 9:30 and 4:30, but at least my long afternoon course was an exam day, leaving me able to sit and keep from talking much. Kira was kind enough to get me to and from the train station, saving me the short but agonizing-when-ill bike ride.

Then Friday, after some better sleep, I realized that I had a meeting on Friday and had to go to the city. The meeting was productive and I got some other good stuff done, so it was pretty worth it. Thankfully, I awoke Saturday feeling nearly better, and am almost back to myself today. 

We are fortunate that none of the kids caught my illness. Still, Hakan has been working through some interesting issues.

He’s been on a new kick of needing bandages all the time. He’ll get the tiniest of pinches on a finger or toe, and then insist that he needs a bandage. What’s especially silly is that he then wants to remove the cumbersome thing about 30 seconds later. Kira quickly decided that we could just reuse the same bandage over and over, so we have one on stand-by on the kitchen counter for whenever Hakan gets the slightest bonk. Whatever helps him feel better, I suppose…

We are enjoying our cooler weather very much, but are wary of the impending winter. It will be nice that the boys are older and can do more in the snow, but the fact that they still need supervision worries us that they will spend most of the winter indoors with a bad case of cabin fever. Still, we are excited as we plan out our Christmas trip to see family and friends.

Kira is gradually getting things in place to take a few clients. She has some referrals already, but has run into several obstacles to getting office space for so little time. Fortune favored us this week with a new opening within walking distance of our home and a free evening for her use. She’ll get that going in a few more weeks, simultaneously getting a break from the hard work of managing the children and getting to exercise her therapist brain, while also adding a little income.

Stay tuned for more updates as they come.


2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All