top of page
  • Writer's pictureElijah Ricks

Touch of Paint

We seem to finally be over our strange colds, and yet my energy still seems zapped. 

We spent Labor Day working our tails off. Because we’d gone to the beach on the previous Saturday, Monday became a bit of a laze-around day… at least for the kids. I spent part of the morning on work stuff, and then I spent most of the afternoon painting our banisters on the front patio. When we bought the place, it had just wooden banisters, but they were in disrepair, with no paint or other wood treatment. I filled in the cracks and holes with wood putty, and then put on the first coat of paint. It looks so much better:

Since then, we’ve also tidied up the mailbox post, which was also just untreated wood. Avey did the first coat, and I did the second. 

I spent Wednesday afternoon doing the other one, and then Kira did the second coat of paint on Saturday (preferring to do that over managing the kids like usual).

I had a much better long Tuesday in the city compared to the first, but this one was still a doozy. The strangest thing seems to be the trouble falling asleep. It’s as if I’m so preoccupied with getting adequate sleep that I can’t stop thinking about it, so I toss and turn all night. Luckily, that’s only on Monday night before my long day. This time, the train was delayed for some stupid signal issue, so I had to rush up to my classroom to be there on time. Then, naturally, I could not get the projector to talk to any computer. I called the computer guys for the building, but they couldn’t figure out what was wrong, so I did the whole class without the visuals. It was alright, but very annoying. 

I’ve been finding it difficult to stay motivated and focused on my day job when I don’t have to be on campus every day, and I’m worn out from my long Tuesday, so I worked only half a day on Friday and then took the younger boys (who aren’t in school) to the park and ice cream, giving Kira some peace and quiet at home. They spent nearly all of the time in the swings, and probably would never have gotten out if they had any say in the matter.

Saturday was spent finishing up painting, taking a trip to the library, and making homemade pizza after Kira got a bee in her bonnet about it. She even made a gluten-free crust for Carver, but he was not overly thrilled. We’re still trying to find ways to expand his menu, but he’s so picky that all efforts seem doomed to fail.

There’s not much else going on. We have been thrilled to have cool weather for the last couple of days, getting us in the mood for fall and Halloween. I’m already thinking what I could do for Thanksgiving. Let’s hope the weather doesn’t get too cold too fast!


2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page